10 Foods That Decrease Stress
Soul Food is often equated with comfort food. Here at Original Soul Vegetarian,
we serve food as medicine that comforts your mind, body, and soul. All
of our food is plant-based and chemical-free. If you find yourself in
need of comfort food and wanting to "eat your feelings" there
are a few foods that are proven to help reduce stress. So put down the
potato chips and grab one (or more) of ten vegan foods listed below that
will actually calm and sooth you:
- Berries. Berries are full of vitamin C, which has been shown to decrease
- Avocados. Avocados have lots vitamin B, which lowers stress, and potassium,
which reduces blood pressure leaving you overall less anxious.
- Cashews. Cashews are a great source of zinc, which is inversely correlated
to depression and anxiety.
- Chamomile tea. Studies indicate that chamomile tea has calming properties
and promotes sleep.
- Garlic. Garlic is full of antioxidants and boosts the immune system (which
gets compromised by stress).
- Oatmeal. Oatmeal actually gets your brain to produce the feel-good chemical
- Oranges. Like berries, oranges are full of vitamin C and eating them you
can reap all the same benefits but with a different taste.
- Bananas. Bananas also get your brain to create serotonin, which calms you
and boosts your mood.
- Dark chocolate. In moderation, dark chocolate (the vegan kind) lowers blood
pressure and improves mood.
- Walnuts. Walnuts are full of omega-3 fatty acid (so you don't need
to eat fish to get it!) which helps prevent memory loss and has been shown
to help depression.
Your health is your wealth. Fuel your body with food that soothes you.