Chicagoans boast that no city is better than Chicago in the summer. Here's
some tips to keep you healthy and happy all summer long so you can make
the most out of it and enjoy everything that the city has to offer!
5 Tips for Healthy Summer Living:
- Protect your eyes. Wear sunglasses that shield 99% of A and B Ultraviolet rays.
- Get outside and exercise. Experts say that you need 150 minutes of moderate
intensity aerobic exercise (or 75 minutes of high intensity aerobic exercise)
a week plus strength training twice weekly. So walk, run, bike, play beach
volleyball, take advantage of free yoga in Millennium Park, or rent a Divvy.
- Get some Vitamin D. If you're outside for short periods of time, lay
off the sunscreen, which prevents your body from absorbing Vitamin D from
the sun. However, make sure to lather on some SPF if you're going
to spend hours outside to protect against skin damage, wrinkles, and cancer.
- Eat berries. This is prime berry season and they have lots of antioxidants
and fiber, which can reduce risk of illness, keep cholesterol low, and
prevent some cancers.
- Stick to a normal sleep routine. While it's tempting to stay up later
in the summer, try to get the recommended 8 hours of sleep. It'll
make for a happier, healthier you.