Original Soul Vegetarian has been serving vegan soul food for over 30 years
and has been named "Best Soul Food" by Chicago Reader's
Poll for the last three. Original Soul Vegetarian takes all the flavor
and concepts from soul food cooking with an added vegan twist to make
for the tastiest and healthiest soul food in Chicago.
Cooked greens have long been a staple side in soul food cooking. Here,
at Original Soul Vegetarian, you'll find that we use a lot of kale
in our dishes. This is partly because kale is delicious. And partly because
of all of the health benefits you get from eating kale. At Original Soul
Vegetarian we live by the motto that "your health is your wealth"
and we make sure to serve food that is not only tasty but healthy too.
So that's why kale greens are frequently part of our dinner specials.
Five reasons why kale is so good for you:
- Kale can lower cholesterol and is great for your cardiovascular health.
- Kale is a good detox food. Fiber and sulfur both detoxify your body and
keep your liver healthy.
- Kale is high in vitamins A, C, and K. Vitamin A helps with vision, Vitamin
C is good for your immune system, and Vitamin K protects against cancers
and is important in maintaining bone health.
- Kale has anti-inflammatory properties and is filled with antioxidants.
- Kale is high in calcium and iron. Calcium is essential in maintaining metabolism
and decreasing the chances of bone loss and osteoporosis. Iron is important
in transporting oxygen throughout the body.