10 Foods That Decrease Stress
Soul Food is often equated with comfort food. Here at Original Soul Vegetarian, we serve food as medicine that comforts your mind, body, and soul. All of our food is plant-based and chemical-free. If you find yourself in need of comfort food and wanting to “eat your feelings” there are a few foods that are proven to help reduce stress. So put down the potato chips and grab one (or more) of ten vegan foods listed below that will actually calm and sooth you:
- Berries. Berries are full of vitamin C, which has been shown to decrease stress levels.
- Avocados. Avocados have lots vitamin B, which lowers stress, and potassium, which reduces blood pressure leaving you overall less anxious.
- Cashews. Cashews are a great source of zinc, which is inversely correlated to depression and anxiety.
- Chamomile tea. Studies indicate that chamomile tea has calming properties and promotes sleep.
- Garlic. Garlic is full of antioxidants and boosts the immune system (which gets compromised by stress).
- Oatmeal. Oatmeal actually gets your brain to produce the feel-good chemical serotonin.
- Oranges. Like berries, oranges are full of vitamin C and eating them you can reap all the same benefits but with a different taste.
- Bananas. Bananas also get your brain to create serotonin, which calms you and boosts your mood.
- Dark chocolate. In moderation, dark chocolate (the vegan kind) lowers blood pressure and improves mood.
- Walnuts. Walnuts are full of omega-3 fatty acid (so you don’t need to eat fish to get it!) which helps prevent memory loss and has been shown to help depression.
Your health is your wealth. Fuel your body with food that soothes you.