How to Stock a Vegan Pantry
For people considering going vegan, stocking a pantry can be a daunting task. So here’s a little cheat sheet guide (although by no means an exhaustive list) to get you started.
- Grains. Pasta, oats, barley, couscous are all good staples for vegan cooking.
- Beans and Legumes. Quinoa, a variety of beans, chickpeas, tofu, and various lentils are good things to have on hand.
- Nuts, seeds, and dried fruit.
- Vinegars and oils.
- Sweeteners. Raw and organic sugar, vegan chocolate, cocoa powder, and agave are great health conscious sweeteners.
- Dairy substitutes. Get almond, soy, and/or coconut milk. Also almond butter, veggie butter, veggie shortening, and egg replacer are critical in cooking and baking vegan dishes.
- SPICES. Flavor is the secret to making tasty food (vegan or otherwise).
- Nutritional yeast.
- Vital wheat gluten. You’ll need this if you’re interested in making seitan from scratch to have that meat substitute.
- Fruits and veggies. Get whatever kinds you enjoy to snack on and use for meals.